Vermont’s cold dry wintery air has never been a friend to my hands. Every winter I rely on salve to keep my finger tips from cracking and my knuckles from getting chapped. This year, I discovered how easy it is to make salve myself!
Ingredients: Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, beeswax , and essential oils
Materials: Small microwavable bowls, measuring spoons, and small jars
I couldn’t believe I had almost everything I needed right in our kitchen! I used olive oil from our cupboard and beeswax candle stubs we’d saved over the past year. I decided to make two varieties – lemon and lavender. After buying essential oils at our local health food store, I was ready to go.
1) Heat beeswax in microwave: My goal when making the salves was to not over-heat my olive oil or essential oils. Liquid oils go rancid easily, especially when heated to high temperatures. Therefore, I started by heating beeswax, which I knew would need high temperatures to become liquid. For my 4 oz. batch, I used 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons of beeswax. The wax turned to liquid after several sessions of 3 minutes in our microwave,.
2) Measure oil: While waiting for the beeswax to melt, I measured 6 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of oil into a second small microwavable bowl. I then warmed the oil briefly in the microwave.
3) Combine ingredients: Using the oily measuring spoons, I added the liquid beeswax to the oil (residual oil made it easy to wipe off the remaining wax). The wax hardened in the oil, so I microwaved my combined ingredients until everything was liquid again. I then added 6 drops of essential oil and stirred.
4) Test: I dipped my finger in the warm liquid and brushed the oil onto the back of my hand to test the smell and feel. I decided to add one more drop of essential oil.
5) Spoon into containers: Using my tablespoon measure, I carefully spooned my warm liquid salve into small containers and set them gently aside to cool.
6) Enjoy!: I plan on using my calming lavender salve at night and my next batch – uplifting lemon – during the day. These little jars will also make great gifts.